Life Scout Candidates
1. Read official Life Rank Requirements on page 445 of the Scout Handbook.
2. Complete Life Leadership Requirement while a Star Scout by (select one of the following):
- Serving as a leader in Troop 174 for six months in one of the positions of responsibility in the Scout Handbook on page 444.
- Serving as a Den Chief in a Cub Scount Pack for at least six months (read Den Chief requirements)
- Completing a Leadership Project assigned by Scoutmaster Frank Otte
3. Complete six hours of work on Service Projects while a Star Scout.
4. While a Star Scout, use the EDGE method to teach another Scout a scout skill.
5. Earn a total of eleven merit badges, including any seven from the required list for Eagle. (Required: First Aid; Citizenship in Community, Nation, and World (3); Communications; Personal Fitness; (Environmental Science or Sustainability); Personal Management; Camping; Family Life; Cooking; (Emergency Preparedness or Life Saving); and (Swimming or Hiking or Cycling).
6. Stay familiar with first aid topics in Chapter 11 of Scout Handbook and Orienteering (Map and Compass) topics in Scout Handbook.
7. Keep all Merit Badge Blue Cards and Rank Advancement Cards in the “baseball card” sheets in a green three-ring binder.
8. Meet Troop 174 participation requirement.
9. When you have completed all of the above requirements, arrange to meet with Scoutmaster Frank Otte and bring your scout handbook and a pen to the meeting. Please ask him to sign-off on the Life rank requirements in the book and be prepared to document your Service Projects and Leadership activities. You will need a signed and completed Den Chief Form if you served as a Den Chief for your Leadership Activity. Once your handbook has been signed by Mr. Otte you are free to sign up for the next Scoutmaster Conference/Board of Review event.